30 November 2016

Slow Visual Studio Performance ... Solved

I had an odd performance-related issue today. My Microsoft Visual Studio seemed to be taking far too long to perform even the simplest of operations. I Googled around and tried a few ideas that people had such as disabling add-ins or clearing Visual Studio's recent projects list but those suggestions didn't seem to solve the problem. I remembered that the Windows Sys Internals website had a tool called Process Monitor that would sniff registry and file accesses by any running program. It seemed to me that Visual Studio was up to something and Process Monitor should help me figure out what it was. I downloaded the most recent version, and after fiddling around a bit with its display filters, ran it and to my horror, I saw that Visual Studio was so slow because it was accessing the more than 10,000 folders in 
C:\Users\krintoul\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSiteCache 
on most IDE operations. I'm not sure why there were that many folders and moreover, wasn't sure what Visual Studio was doing with them, but after I zipped those folders up and moved them somewhere else, Visual Studio's performance improved tremendously.